What is Core Aeration?
Core Aeration is often described as the most important thing you can do to create a healthy, thick and robust lawn. Core aeration is the process of mechanically removing small cores of soil from the lawn using an aeration machine. The aeration machine is designed to penetrate the soil and remove small cores about 2-3” in depth about the same size as your index finger.
Why Should I Core Aerate My Lawn?
Core Aeration is extremely beneficial for the health of your lawn for a number of different reasons:
• Reduces and relieves soil compaction encourages deep healthy roots
• Removes undesirable excessive thatch layers
• Helps eliminate drought stres
• Reduces weed infestations
• Reduces insect and disease incidence
• Increases the uptake of fertilizers and control products
• Stimulates new turf growth
Signs that your lawn needs to be aerated include:
• Worn areas where people walk often
• Water puddles after irrigating
• Water runs off the lawn after only a few minutes of watering
• Parts of the lawn that just can’t seem to keep moist
When and how often should I Core Aerate my lawn?
Core aeration is an excellent way to ensure the health of a lawn, and can be done at anytime in Spring, Summer, or Fall season when the lawn is actively growing. Normally, Core aerating your lawn once each season is sufficient for good healthy turf. Heavily compacted soils and lawns with excessive thatch buildup may require additional more frequent aerations.